Southern Style ChiliPrint Recipe
Ingredients and Shopping List
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef, thawed
- 1 (28-ounce) cans diced petite tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup medium salsa (may substitute mild)
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons Better Than Bouillon® Chili Base
- 1½ tablespoons Better Than Bouillon® All-Natural Reduced Sodium Beef Base
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can yellow hominy, drained, rinsed and set aside (may substitute with black beans)
1. In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add pork and beef, cook and stir until crumbled, about 20-25 minutes, set aside.
3. To a large soup pot, over medium heat, add tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa, beer, water, oregano, cumin, cocoa powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Chili and Beef Bases and cooked meat, stir to combine. Bring chili to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, until done, about an hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Before serving, stir in hominy and heat through, about 5 minutes.
Serve with fresh biscuits and honey-butter.