Tortellini SoupPrint Recipe
Ingredients and Shopping List
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ pounds bulk mild Italian sausage
- 8 cups water
- ¼ cup Better Than Bouillon® Chicken Base
- 1 (5.5-ounce) can spicy tomato juice
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1¼ teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well (squeeze thawed spinach in paper towels, to remove excess water)
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh or frozen cheese tortellini (do not thaw if frozen)
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, cook and stir, about 2 minutes.
2. Add Italian sausage, cook and stir until bite-size crumbles are done, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat, drain sausage on paper towel.
4. Return soup pot to medium heat, add water and whisk in Chicken Base until dissolved.
5. Add tomato juice, tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and bay leaf, stir and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add spinach and tortellini, cook until tortellini is done, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove bay leaf before serving, garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Serve with crusty Italian bread and a fresh green salad.